It's okay to have candy and sweets for Halloween. You're a big girl now and you don't need anyone's permission, nor do you need to be sneaky about it. It's all about balance. If you buy one bag of seasonal candy that will be sitting around the house until the trick-or-treaters come, pick up two options for a healthy alternative snack (e.g. hummus and carrot sticks or string cheese and apples). If your calendar is filling up with parties that you know will be heavy on the junk food and/or booze, make a point to eat healthier and drink less (or not at all) on the days that you aren't partying. Cook at home instead of eating out. Get in an extra workout once you've finished that bag of candy. Set up a self-care day to rest and detox post party. Do what works for you to maintain balance. Aim to be your version of healthy 90% of the time, and feel no shame when you indulge the other 10% of the time. Share your strategy in the comments.
2. Plan ahead
Planning ahead makes abiding by the 90/10 guideline much easier. Stock up on healthy groceries so that you will be prepared to cook at home and less tempted to eat out or order delivery in the middle of the week. A home cooked meal is more likely to be a healthy meal compared to a restaurant/take-out meal. Have healthy snacks available and ready to eat. Take some with you if you'll be at the office or on the go all day. Eat a healthy, wholesome meal before you head over to that party. Then you can focus on being social rather than stuffing your face. Know which days you are going to exercise each week and stick to it. If you miss a workout, incorporate some other form of physical activity into your day, even if it's just a 30 minute stroll in the crisp autumn air.
3. Be safe
Flashlights. Buddy system. Stranger danger. It's not just kid stuff. Fall means the weather is getting colder. Wear a jacket. Fall means that it's getting dark earlier: walk in well-lit areas or carry a flashlight. Be aware of your surroundings. For heaven's sake, put the cell phone away while you're walking or driving! Go out with a buddy. Keep an eye on your adult beverage. Have a buddy walk you home (and/or text to confirm that you've both made it home safely). Can you tell what kind of mom I'm going to be? As I said above, you're a big girl/boy now, and I trust that you're smart and responsible enough to make good choices. Make this mama proud!
As promised, here are pictures of my all time favorite Halloween costume. What are you going to be this year? Any ideas for me? Extra points if it involves my baby bump!